Monday, October 22, 2012

10 Favorite things about Fall

1.  Boots and Sweaters!  I am always a happy girl when I can dust of my riding boots, ankle boots, cowboy boots, hiking boots...you get the picture.  There is just something cozy about putting on a pair of boots, but I am sure by January I will already be longing for my flip flops!  And sweaters, my how I love cuddling up in a soft warm sweater.

2.  All things pumpkin.  Pumpkin Scones, pumpkin pasta sauce, pumpkin beer, toasted pumpkin seeds. Let's not forget trips to the pumpkin patch.  This year I have been late to get on the pumpkin bandwagon.  Blame it on the move.  But, I did make pumpkin muffins last night.  Unfortunately, the recipe was a little blek.  I will be posing on that later, because they looked awesome, just didn't taste great.

3.  All things apple.  Drinking a cup of hot apple cider (thank you k-cups for all natural apple cider) sitting on the back porch while there is a little nip in the air makes me very happy!  Homemade apple fritters and apple dumplings.  Savory applesauce laced with sage and rosemary (yes, I will be posting that recipe soon).  Apple scented candles at the store.  I just got the cutest caramel apple woodwick candle this weekend.  I. Love. Their. Candles.

4.  Thanksgiving planning.  I am a serious planner.  I think that is why I am good at catering.  So, I have already started to plan my Thanksgiving meal.  I know it isn't even Halloween yet, but in case you haven't noticed, I am cheap frugal.  So, I will start watching the ads for things that will be in our meal that I can buy ahead in have in the freezer.  I will also start my make ahead prep soon.  Things like homemade rolls that take a long time, but can be made ahead and frozen, or even homemade pies.

5.  Halloween.  Every year I make Marcus's Halloween costume.  I will do a post on Halloween costumes of the past, and how they were made in the next few days.  This year he is going to be Elvis.  Not young Elvis, but Viva Las Vegas Elvis.  Complete with the polyester suit and cape!  He fell in love with Elvis, after we bought a Lilo and Stitch CD at a yard sale for a quarter.  Nothing cuter than a five year old singing Hunka Burning Love!

6.  Batch Cooking.  When the temperature gets cool, I feel the need to fill the freezer.  At least once a week for a while I will be batch cooking something.  Maybe meatballs for Italian wedding soup, or meatloaves when ground beef is on sale, there will be the huge batch of spaghetti sauce, banana bread loaves, the list goes on and on.  Come January (when we are broke from the Holidays) I will be able rely heavily on the freezer to stretch my food budget.

7.  Holiday Shopping.  Under normal circumstances, I have my shopping done by the end of this month.  This year, I have not bought the first thing.  I am starting to get a little anxious about it.  I keep watching the sales ads.  I guess I might have to actually venture out on Black Friday this year, which isn't really something that I normally do.  After being a stay at home mom for a number of years, the thought of crowded stores stresses me out!

8.  The sights smells and sounds of the season.  Is there anything prettier than a hillside ablaze with crimson reds, and vibrant yellows, and pumpkin orange?  I love to get outdoors this time of year and feel the leaves crunch under my feet, or listen to the them rustling around.  There is also the smell of Fall leaves.  I love that smell when you jump in to a pile of leaves.  So earthy and delightful.

9.  Decorating.  My house is pretty dull most of the year, but when October rolls around I fell like I am constantly changing around the decor.  We start with the monsters and goblins, and transition in to leaves, pumpkins and gourds, and before you know it, the tree is going up, and I am surrounded by ginger people, nutcrackers, Santa, and a ton of snowflakes.

10.  Time with family.  This is last but not least for sure.  Sometimes it is just down time with my little family, sometimes it is a gathering of my friends who are my extended family, and when we are lucky we get to see relatives near and far.  Just one such case was celebrating my hubby's grandfather's 95th birthday this weekend.  We saw people there we had not seen in years.  My mother in law saw a cousin who they figured the two of them had not seen each other in over 30 years!  How great is that!!!

There are plenty of other things that I love about this time of year, but these are my favorites.  What are you looking forward to in the coming months?

No comments:

Post a Comment