Monday, September 8, 2008

Meatless Mondays

I am going to start with the recipe today, it is for meatless stuffed mushrooms. I made these for my MOPS groups annual banquet. They were a hit, and I had many requests for the recipes. Since my fellow MOPS members are my primary readers, this one goes out for all of ya'll!

Meatless/Vegetarian stuffed Mushrooms

24 whole button mushrooms
2 T. olive oil or butter
3 T. chopped onion
3 cloves minced garlic
2 (8 oz) packages of cream cheese
½ cup of freshly grated parmesano regianno cheese
½ tsp. pepper
½ tsp. cayenne pepper


Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Remove the stems from the mushroom caps. Finely chop stems. Saute mushroom stems and onions and garlic over medium heat in the oil or butter until the onions are translucent. Combine the remaining ingredients in a bowl, and add the mushroom mixture once it has cooled. Stuff mushrooms with filling using a spoon to pile it on. Bake on a sheet pan for 20 minutes, or until mixture starts to brown. Serve warm.


Beyond the recipe. I just want to say that Hanna was a major disappointment. I was looking forward to the power being out, making s'mores on the grill, and all that fun stuff. Instead, we got some rain, and that was really about it. I don't want to sound ungrateful though. I know that it was a blessing that we were spared any damage and all. It is just that I like storms. Storms are God's fury in all it's glory. They get me charged up. Nature is a beautiful thing.

Let me tell you a funny about hurricane preparedness. Normally in my house there is very little if any junk type food. I steer away from non-perishables, and I do not liked processed meats. Well, in preparation for Hanna we go out and buy things like crackers, cookies, soups, canned meats, etc. You know the typical shelf stable type things. Before we even get them put away some things are starting to be opened and eaten. Do other families do this? Here is our emergency supply, and we are consuming it. I guess when we don't keep these things around, they do become very tempting.

Guess it is a good thing that Hanna was lackluster!

1 comment:

  1. This really sounds like a good appetizer, if only I had a shindig to cook it up for!!
    love you
    amy

    ReplyDelete