Tuesday, September 18, 2012

Wild Blueberry Scones

Over the next week or so, I WILL be posting a FEW recipes even though we are in the process of packing and moving.  I have lots of good food hiding in the freezer that I need to use up.  These will probably be all my original recipes, because I am not going to go out and buy stuff so that I can specifically make an Ina recipe. I need to use up what I have.  If the photos don't look great, chalk that up to using the phone for the pics.

Today, I decided to make scones.  I was thinking about pumpkin scones, because they are in season (at SB at least).  Alas, there was no canned pumpkin in the house, and I had a Costco sized bag of wild blueberries in the freezer, so Wild Blueberry Scones it is.

Preheat oven to 400 degrees.

In a large bowl cut 1/2 cup of butter (a stick) in to 2 c. of self rising flour.


Stir in 1/2 cup of sugar, and then fold in 1 cup of low fat buttermilk.  This will be a very dry dough.  Delicately fold in 1 cup of frozen wild blueberries.  Really, like 3 folds and that is it, or you will get a purple gunky mess.


Dump mixture out on to a floured surface, and shape in to a rough rectangle.  You may want to flour your hands as you do this, or you will end up with purple hands.  Trust me...I know.


Next cut the dough like this to make 16 triangles.  (Notice that big hunk of butter stuck to the knife?)


 Place the triangles (about 2 inches apart) on a baking sheet and bake for 20 minutes.  If they aren't browning after 20 minutes, turn on the broiler and finish them off.  Allow them to cool on a cooling rack if you can wait that long.

Enjoy them with a cup of hot tea or whatever your beverage of choice with scones is.


These would have been tasty with a lemon glaze, but I did not have any powdered sugar or fresh lemons on hand.  They are quite delicious as is.  Not overly sweet, and super tender.

****A side note on frozen blueberries vs. fresh.  If you were thinking about using fresh blueberries for this recipe, you will want to add some more liquid to the dough.  As the frozen blueberries thaw, they moisten the dough.  I like using the frozen blueberries, because they keep the dough nice and cold which helps yield flakier scones, because the butter doesn't melt before baking.****



1 comment:

  1. I need a strong cup of coffee.....stat! YUM! Will make these!!

    ReplyDelete