Thursday, August 21, 2008

Not keeping up with my recipes

This week has not been so good as far as pushing out the recipes goes. My goal of 5 a day has definitely not been achieved!!! So far this week we have made:



Hamburger Pie
Sauteed Mushrooms
Garlic Monkey Brains
Southern Sweet Tea (yes, there are plenty of people who don't have a clue how to make this)
Roasted Asparagus
Pound Cake
Chicken Salad



That only yields us about 2 recipes per day. So today, I am going to do a little bit of catch up. Here is what I will be making:



Fried Catfish
Asian Coleslaw
Collard Greens
Hush Puppies
Red Velvet Cake
Banana Pudding
Pickled Onions (which are actually quite tasty)



I think that I might start posting a recipe of the day (only on the days that I choose to blog of course), so here goes:



Hamburger Pie

1 pound lean ground beef
1 small onion diced
1 can of cream of mushroom soup
1 can of cream of chicken soup
1 egg
salt and pepper to taste
2 premade pie shells

Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Brown ground beef and onions over medium heat. If beef has a lot of fat, drain it off. Stir in the soups and salt and pepper. Beat the egg and add to the mixture stirring quickly to incorporate. Put one of the pie shells in a pie plate, add the meat mixture and cover with other pie shell. Crimp edges and cut a few slits in the top of the crust. Bake for 35 - 45 minutes (until shell browns). Allow to cool 10 minutes before cutting or you will have a mess.

You can also add some mushrooms or green beans to the recipe to up the vegetables.

Hope you will give it a try, as it is actually quite good!

3 comments:

  1. Oooh, this recipe DOES look good. I think my crew would like it with some corn added into the mix. I need to start looking for some organic pie shells...

    ReplyDelete
  2. This does sound good, and something different than what we would normally do with hamburger meat. I might add more veggies like you said and maybe do cream of celery instead of chicken?? OH WELL we will try it soon!!
    I hope you will put a recipe on more often.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hmm, Organic pie shells. I am sure that they are out there somewhere. Isn't amazing that we can find just about anything we want these days in an array of types i.e. organic, or gluten-free.

    Amy, this was one of Big Mama's recipes and she actually made it with cream of celery and cream of mushroom!

    ReplyDelete