Sunday, December 28, 2008

Spaghetti and Squash Don't Mix

So, in light of the holiday feasts that we have attended, and the cookies we have consumed, hubby and I decided that we should try to lighten things up a bit this week, just to make sure we don't gain back any of the weight we have already lost. (For those of you just tuning in, don't be confused this is definitely a food blog, and not a dieting blog).

Anyway, we decided to give spaghetti squash a try as a substitute for real spaghetti, because it is a major calorie savings. So, I read that you could cook the squash whole in the crock pot, and I did just that. It did give us a little freight when the squash blew up because no one said anything about puncturing it before hand. No mess though. It just made the lid jump on the crock pot, and I immediately envisioned squash all over the counter and ceiling.

Fast forward to the part where we actually eat the stuff, and let's just say that it was a little runny, because water kept seeping out of the "noodles". I would not say that the taste was bad, it just was not good. I think you come to expect a certain texture when it comes to pasta, and let just say that squash does not have that same texture.

This is among the many reasons why I will not be living the low carb lifestyle. There really is just no substitute for bread or pasta. I can do whole wheat pasta just fine, so that is what I will be sticking to.

All I can save about tonight's meal is that if it weren't for the garlic bread, we would have been really hungry. What can I say, you have to sprinkle a little bit of naughty in with your nice!

3 comments:

  1. Spaghetti squash in the CP? Nah. I cut mine in half, scoop the seeds out, and place cut side down in a 9x11 baking dish in the oven at 350. I like it to be a bit "crunchy" when I scrape it out with my fork. We've tried it with spaghetti sauce, but I'm right there with you on the texture. I like it with some "I can't believe it's not butter", garlic, sea salt, and a sprinkle of Nature's Seasons. Zero point side dish, or one point lunch if I add more ICBINB and double the portion. Yah, I'm back on WW to lose these 10 lbs I gained over the move and depressing summer and subsequent surgery.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I always wondered if that was any good...I guess it will never be tried at my house then! Maybe the baked kind with butter and garlic, we will see! Hope you have a great new year!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yikes! Exploding squash in the crock pot really could have been a disaster....so glad it wasn't!
    I'm with you on the texture thing. Not happenin in this house!
    I agree also with the whole wheat pasta, it really is quite good.

    ReplyDelete